Please read the following before requesting an application: Candidacy for assistance depends, among other factors, on the availability of funds and the number of eligible applicants, along with the following criteria:
- The applicant must be a musician who has regular public performances, or performed on at least three widely released recordings (audio or audiovisual), or written music that has been performed on three widely released recordings, or published on three occasions. The term “Musician” includes vocalists, songwriters, composers, arrangers, and instrumentalists.
- The applicant must demonstrate financial need. Sweet Relief may request tax returns, bank statements, and/or any other information deemed necessary to verify such need.
- Except for retired or semi-retired older musicians the applicant must have, or recently have had, a serious medical condition. A condition is considered to be serious when it substantially affects the applicant’s ability to work within or outside the music industry (i.e. a survival job). A diagnosis by a medical doctor, or hospital or medical bills indicating such condition, must be provided.
- Our grants for older musicians provide short-term assistance for basic needs.
Any individual who does not meet these criteria, but believes he or she to be eligible for assistance may request an application for a grant by providing a written explanation as to why the Grant Committee should make an exception to the above policies.
Please note: We would sincerely love to help anyone who needs it; however, if you have not had the experience required in Part 1 above, you are not yet eligible for assistance.
Click the application link to obtain access to our online application. You may also email us.
Make sure to include the following information in your email:
- Your full name
- Ground Mailing Address
- Phone number and the best time of day to reach you
- A brief description of your current situation
You may also call
Toll free 888-955-7880
Sweet Relief Musicians Fund is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Sweet Relief is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination in employment and opportunity because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, gender, sexual orientation, or age. The Executive Director has issued the following policy stating Sweet Relief’s views in this matter:
It is the policy of Sweet Relief Musicians Fund to:
• Strictly follow personnel procedures that will ensure equal opportunity for all people without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, marital status, disability, veteran or draft status;
• Make reasonable accommodations wherever necessary for all employees or applicants with disabilities, provided that the individual is otherwise qualified to safely perform the duties and assignments connected with the job and provided that any accommodations made do not require significant difficulty or expense.
• Achieve understanding and acceptance of Sweet Relief’s policy on Equal Employment Opportunity by all employees and by the communities in which the company operates;
• Thoroughly investigate instances of alleged discrimination and take corrective action if warranted;
• Be continually alert to identify and correct any practices by individuals that are at variance with the intent of the Equal Employment Opportunity Policy.
Sweet Relief Musicians Fund provides financial assistance to all types of career musicians who are struggling to make ends meet while facing illness, disability, or age-related problems.
Sweet Relief offers many services and resources in addition to financial assistance.
Additional services we can offer applicants are:
- Information about health insurance programs and providers
- Medical provider and bill negotiation assistance
- Career and job-placement resources
- Information on Unions and Guild assistance funds
Please see our Resources page for many more categories of assistance
Please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.
To better serve you, please complete this short form before submitting the grant application and someone from Sweet Relief will be in touch with you shortly.